Yes, I have a serious malfunction of the brain. I can't stop - I'm out of control.
How come I can go buy an album, stick it on an mp3 disk with 12 other records, and let it drown in the mass sea of burned disks I have stacked in my living room? I just can't stop going out to find new music. I can't stop. It's like an itch that pierces the back of your tongue, or the constant craving of cigarettes. I must fulfill this itch, this urge.
So, I decided to create a site for people to give me new 'musical discoveries'. In turn, I'll provide you with recent bands I've found. But first let's start things off by defining a few parameters. No jam bands - I can't stand it. Yes, there was a time when catching the local hippie migration was fun, but I need something innovative, something progressive. My tastes vary from deep south country to 'new hardcore', to jazz, and some hip-hop. I'm truly not that picky, as I'll give anything a try, but no Dave Matthews or Widespread Panic, please.
I want to find the little punk bands that have a solid bassist, or the singer/songwriter that has his niche. I want to find bands that sweat and vomit on stage and leave you feeling violated. I want to find something out there that's new, and real, and just fucking good.
I know you're out there.
So, to get things kicked off, here are some classics - bands, when record albums, I will buy on the first day of release - no questions asked. What are yours? Got anything new?
Wilco
Radiohead
Queens of the Stone Age
Beck
Elliot Smith (I wish)
Here are some things I've found myself listening to lately:
System of a down
The Roots
My Morning Jacket
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
The Mars Volta
Ryan Adams
Here are a few bands I just recently found:
Pinback - interesting architecture - sounds like a pop band at first, but has some tastes similar to Spoon and even Porno for Pyros. I liked it at first, but then began to have second thoughts. Should be checked out though. (3 out of 5)
The Lucksmiths - fucking horrible - don't waste your time (1 out of 5)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Check out Pandora -- enter band names, genres, even specific song titles and it will recommend to you similar music. Best of all, it's free.
Artists that you may like since you have similar taste in music to I:
Hooverphonic
Portishead
Soul Coughing
Mike Doughty
Billy Cobham
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Jean-Luc Ponty
John McLaughlin
wow... I just recently tried to post a comment and my mouse is so sensitive it deleted.
I have bunches of incredible unknown music (friends of mine... 30 years of shared networking, gigging, and inspiration, some currently performing in places like Santa Barbara, Boulder, Austin). Stuff that is so authentic because it hasn't been bastardized by the media hype of conglomerate Record labels. And this includes my own catalogue of over 3000 songs, of which 30 will outlast stuff most folks think is real.
My other posting was "in the moment" and sounded less like bragging than this...
But now that I have thought about it, I want to include my extensive media catalogue of live video, performers in the Bay Area that most people haven't ever heard. The kind of music you cry for... if you ever find it.
In fact... I am now working (today) on a few DVD comps of some of this talent... My guess is that when I rlease these zen pieces, with 600 folks dancing, people all over this country will try to find some of these bands... and i am guessing it will provide the necessary proof that I should film the documentary of re-discovering the lead singer of Pele Ju Ju (for example- Dana Hutson) so that her dedicated family of fans can witness her genius again.... and I have 12 concerts, music fesitvals , club shows to draw from... all proof (in just one case of Oh So Many) that the truly greatest performers do it for the real reasons, not necessary to appear on Conan...
yeah... too good to be true, I know... except it is.
ToeKneeStanger@hotmail.com
great new stuff ive discovered and cant stop listening to:
circa survive
do make say think
and if youre adventurous try my band:
http://www.myspace.com/chaohsgloam ;)
i guarantee its different, but not so very...
Post a Comment